Our 60th Year Preserving and Promoting El Paso County History!
Like us on facebook!
Burges HouseOur headquarters located at 603 W. Yandell Drive in the Sunset Heights Historic District houses the Jane Burges-Perrenot Research Center and is the home of the Society.
The purpose of the society is to encourage and support research into the history of El Paso and the surrounding area.
Our hours of Operation at Burges House (603 W. Yandell St., El Paso, TX, 79902) are Mondays 9-1, Tuesdays 9-2, Thursdays 9-4 and Fridays from 9-1. Please feel free to call us at 915-533-3603 for more information.
El Paso History Notes- April__________________
1881 -The El Paso Times and the Herald begin publication. 1914- General Pershing takes command of Fort Bliss.
UT Board of Regents authorize the State School of Mines and Metallurgy(UTEP). *************** 7th-1910-St. Louis street is renamed Mills in honor of Anson Mills who laid out the town's plat in 1859. 8th-1854-Masonic Lodge #130 holds its first meeting in San Elizario. 9th-1889-The dirtiest election in El Paso's history pits A, Krakauer against C.R. Morehead. Krakauer wins by 5 votes, then it is confirmed he can't be Mayor because he is still a German citizen 9th - 1865-Robert E. Lee surrenders. The Civil War ends. 11th-1881- Dallas Stoudenmire arrives and becomes City Marshall. 16th-1913-Texas Legislature passes the act which creates the Texas School of Mines(UTEP). 17th-1881- Our famous shoot-out, "4 Dead in 5 Seconds" as Stoudenmire shoots it out! 17th-1890-Ranger Charles Fusselman is killed at "Smuggler's Gap" on the Northeast side of Mt. Franklin. Today the Gap is known as Fusselman Canyon. 21st-1836-Sam Houston defeats Santa Ana's army at San Jacinto. 21st-1889-The first "flight" over El Paso as "Professor" LeRoy rides a hot air balloon over town. 24th - 1851 - International Boundary Marker #1 is placed 42 miles north of El Paso, Chihuahua on the West bank of the Rio Grande. 25th-1904-The Carnegie Library opens on Buckler Square-the same site as today's El Paso Public Library
25th-1906- The famous "Harvey House" opens in Union Depot.
28th-1914-The School of Mines and Metallurgy is established at Fort Bliss. 2014 is UTEP's 100th Birthday!
30th-1598-Don Juan de Oñate declares "La Toma", taking possession of the El Paso Valley.
Shop Amazon? You can help the EPCHS! Visit smile.amazon.com and 0.5% of your book purchases can be donated to the EP County Historical Society!
The Richard Burges Live Oak has been designated as a Famous Tree of Texas! El Paso's first Live Oak was planted in 1914.