Photo Credit: Ysleta Woman’s Club Collection, UTEP Special Collections
The Ysleta Woman’s Club was organized in March 1921 at “Sunnyfields” on Alameda, the home of Mrs. J. Stoney Porcher, which later became Cesar Chavez Academy. The club’s first president was Mrs. W.B. Abadie. Other officers included Anne Whitney, vice president Elinor Porcher, treasurer Gertrude Cadwallader, secretary Mrs. Owen White and Mrs. N.N. Bourland. Other founding members were Pearl Crossley, Mrs. J.L. Reid, Mattie Graves, Essie Paden, Mrs. T.N. Williams, Lucy Brooks, Helen Lang, Christine Bower, Mrs. George Spencer, Emilia Foix and Jennie Downs.
The Woman’s Club built its clubhouse in 1924. The building still exists, but the organization does not. The clubhouse is across from Ysleta High School on Alameda. The building was designed by notable architect Otto Thorman. The club also organized a WPA Library, the first library in Ysleta, with Olive Ellis as librarian. The clubhouse served as a place of worship for various religious congregations. St. Christopher had its start there in 1947 with Pastor Kenneth Rice. The Lutheran Redeemer took over after Rice moved his congregation to a new building donated by the Porchers on Riverside Drive.
The club also hosted various talks, lectures and book reviews to enrich its members and performed community service in Ysleta. Later presidents of the club included Myrtle Cooper, Ann Whitney, Mrs. Jack Kaufman, Elinor Porcher, Mrs. H.E. Cole, Mrs. E.L. Hurt, Mattie Graves, Mary Hughes, Mrs. J.W. Rutledge, Mrs. F.M. Pratt, Ruby Ambler, Mrs. D.F. White, Mrs. E.C. Kelly and Mrs. H.H. Snelson.
— Joseph Longo